Date:      16 Apr 2000 11:35:29 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        David Bein <bein@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS expansions of $FreeBSD$

David Bein <bein@world.std.com> writes:

>   I am in the process of doing some serious upgrading on my 3.2 machine
> and am wondering what the magic hook is to get CVS/RCS to expand the
> $FreeBSD$ tokens properly when checking out newer sources (with cvs)
> which have these in them instead of the old $Id$/$Header$/etc.
>
>   I have pulled up to the 3.4 version of cvs and rcs, but I can
> not find anyplace other than some slightly cryptic setup in RCS
> which would possibly expand the list of tokens to expand.
>
>   I am assuming that something set in my environment or some
> undocumented switch to cvs might do the trick.

I had the same problem when the FreeBSD tags first went in.  There is
a file in CVSROOT called options that controls the tag expansion.  As
I recall, some of this was undocumented (except by c code).

However, if you set up your repository correctly, it will work
automatically. If you're set up like I was you probably have the
FreeBSD sources as a subdir inside of a local CVS repository.  If so,
you've got a CVSROOT dir that controls how your local cvs works.
There should be another CVSROOT dir that gets downloaded by cvsup
along with the FreeBSD sources.  What you want to do is use the
FreeBSD version of the CVSROOT files when you check out FreeBSD.  Do
this by treating the FreeBSD files as a cvs repository rather than as
a subdir of your own repository. In other words use the -d option to
cvs checkout to specify the repository.  Something like:

cvs -d /home/cvs/someplace/freebsd checkout -r RELENG_3 src

The repository directory you specify in the -d option should be the
same as what you're using as your prefix in the cvsup file.

--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com