Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 06:56:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PTOLEMY beta

The Berkeley EECS Ptolemy project has a 0.6 beta release.  To answer
the first question:

"Ptolemy is a research project and software environment focused on
design methodology for signal processing and communications systems.
Its scope ranges from designing and simulating algorithms to
synthesizing hardware and embedded software, parallelizing algorithms,
and rapidly prototyping real-time systems. The work is conducted
by the DSP Design Group of the Department of Electrical Engineering
and Computer Sciences of the University of California at Berkeley.
The project is directed by Prof. Edward Lee and Prof. David
Messerschmitt. The project is named after the second century Greek
astronomer, mathematician, and geographer."

I got it working during the alpha period for FreeBSD but haven't
had time to do a formal port of it.  It should work out of the box
once you get the bleeding edge development environment installed
- see requirements below.

Anyone using an earlier Ptolemy version will want to test this beta
if they have the time.  If there are any ambitious sound users "it
would be nice" to test out the sound demos and get them working-
you need a Sun compatable /dev/audio, which I believe we have.

REQUIREMENTS:

The pgcc port of 2.7.2 in ports;

libg++-2.7.1 from prep;

gmake 3.74 ports;

pt-0.6beta.oct.src.tar.gz, pt-0.6beta.other.src.tar.gz,
pt-0.6beta.src.tar.gz See http://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/pt0.6beta.html

More than 64 MB swap to compile (I went to 96)

The specific instructions for FreeBSD are in the distribution in
ptolemy/mk/config-freebsd.mk.  I also have a build script that I
use if anyone needs it.

--
Temporarily via "hdalog@zipnet.net"...

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267