Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:23:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

Is this also true for SMP systems?

:>On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:09:36AM +0000, Antony T Curtis wrote:
:>> Kris Kennaway wrote:
:>> >
:>> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:30:33AM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>> > > Dear Sirs.
:>> > >
:>> > > I'm really confused and surprised by the fact, that with the upcoming new
:>> > > FreeBSD 4.3 in its make.conf we can choose architectural parameters for the
:>> > > CPU architecture. And I will tell you why.
:>>
:>> <snip>
:>>
:>> > I've been running NIS on FreeBSD with world and kernel compiled with
:>> > -march=pentiumpro for about 9 months with no ill effects.  In fact
:>> > I've never heard of reports of bad code generation using the -march
:>> > settings -- it appears to be very stable.  Are you sure you didn't
:>> > have a nonstandard optimization setting (-O2, etc) as well?
:>>
:>> I have world compiled with -O2 with no ill effect (that I have noticed)
:>> but if I compile the kernel with -O2, it looks okay but has problems
:>> with talking TCP/IP - seems to generate faulty checksums and some other
:>> quirks.... To put it simply, stable kernels are only with -O (in my
:>> experience)
:>>
:>> (however, I have compiled KLDs with -O2 with no ill effect)
:>
:>Yes, this is well known (and documented in /etc/make.conf).  I've
:>*never* heard failure reports associated with using an -march option,
:>nor seen any myself (all my systems run with -march=<whatever> and
:>have never shown failures; contrasted with -O2 which inevitably causes
:>problems each time I'm tempted to try it)
:>
:>I think Jordan's commit to /etc/make.conf warning people off of using
:>CPUTYPE was premature.
:>
:>Kris
:>

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)