Date:      01 Jul 2002 17:56:57 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        200207011947.g61Jlo0q013998@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/40091: print/gnomeprint needs graphics/gdk-pixbuf but doesn't list it as a dependancy

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 17:48, Erik Greenwald wrote:

> > Synopsis: print/gnomeprint needs graphics/gdk-pixbuf but doesn't list it
> > as a dependancy
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: marcus
> > State-Changed-When: Mon Jul 1 12:47:03 PDT 2002
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > gdk-pixbuf is a dependency of gnomeprint via the USE_GNOME knob.  Do a
> > make package-depends from within the gnomeprint directory, and you will
> > see gdk-pixbuf as a dependency.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=40091
> >

> um, ok, oops, also sent a couple more like that... my bad
>
> It sits wrong with me to have it require that define. I was building the
> parts of gnome I knew I wanted, and was getting these weird and easily
> avoidable errors... if people with less patience try it, they may just
> decide that fbsd sucks and is broken instead of trying to track it back
> to the error. The ports I mention should at least try to set USE_GNOME
> if it's required, I think that no matter where the user tries to build,
> it should never give a blind error like that...
>
> package-depends... cool, wish I would've known about this earlier :)
> package-depends-list looks even more useful, but they're both
> undocumented... should I write description lines in the Mk/bsd.port.mk
> file just to list them? how many other 'hidden' targets are there? :)
> maybe I'll have to read that whole file instead of just the comment docs

Anyone that uninstalls something like gdk-pixbuf should cause a cascade
of dependency errors.  It's like, "hey, doc, my foot hurts when I hit
it."  Don't do that!  Instead, look at something like portupgrade for
managing packages and ports.  It follows dependencies pretty well.

It's worth reading bsd.port.mk from time to time.  I use the
package-depends a lot to test new ports to make sure they depend on what
they should depend on.

Joe