Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:49:23 +0200
From:      Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   advice sought: workflow with -CURRENT and amd GPU [Re: -CURRENT hangs since at least 2022-04-04]

Hi,

I'm highjacking and re-purposing the previous thread, I hope that's OK
(I did change the subject ;-)) - I'm keeping some of the previous
contents for reference.

I have similar HW to OP (Ryzen 7 4700 w. Renoir Graphics), and have
been using a similar approach to keep the machine up to date - or so I
suspect. Still, after a while (several months), I end up with one or
more of these:
- I get some sort of panic in DRM (at startup or, currently, at shutdown)
- when I boot into to a previous BE to attempt a fix and then again
reboot into the current one, I get tons of messages like this
     "... kernel: KLD iic.ko: depends on kernel - not available or
version mismatch
      ... kernel: linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/iic.ko - unsupported file type"
   and computer refuses to accept input (let alone start X)

and some others I don't recall right now.

Before I ask for advice (see below), let me explain the approaches
I've taken so far. I install with ZFS from the beginning, current boot
env is "N". These are outlines, not exact commands:

I) never touch the current BE, always update a new one:
  1) given current BE N, I create a new BE N+1 and mount it on /mnt,
  2) 'cd /usr/src; git pull; sudo make DESTDIR=/mnt ... (build, install, etc)'
  3) 'cd usr/ports/graphics/drm-devel-kmod; sudo make DESTDIR=/mnt install'
  4) beadm activate BE N+1; reboot

II) keep a "new" BE as backup/fallback, update current BE:
  1) given current BE N, I create a new BE N+1 (mounting not required)
(this is the intended 'fallback')
  2) 'cd /usr/src; git pull"; then "make" as described in the Handbook
"24.6. Updating FreeBSD from Source"
  3) 'cd usr/ports/graphics/drm-devel-kmod; sudo make install'
  4) reboot

in both scenarios(sp?), I do "pkg update; pkg upgrade" from time to
time (also following the resp. approach shown above).

I suspect that I'm missing something fundamental in my approaches -
does anyone have a (for them) foolproof approach along these lines, or
can someone show me what I'm missing in either of mine (in private, if
you prefer)?

TIA for all and any advice
Michael

--