Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:14:21 -0600
From:      vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
To:        nishio@caleche.kecl.ntt.co.jp, smp@csn.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APIC_IO problem on Tyan S1668

> send me the dmesg output of the running SMP system and I'll write that band-aid
> I'ver mentioned to get around the bad mptable.  be certain of which cards you
> want in slots 4 & 5, this patch will require that they stay there.
>
> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD

Unless I'm missing something, there shouldn't be any device-specific
code in the ``band-aid''.  Isn't all that needs to be done is
to add an extra line in the MP config table for the other PCI
slot?  This should be (I think) just one of these two situations:

(for this case; i'm using real numbers)
1. Slot 10 actually maps to irq 20 and is just skipped...
(following trend from 16,17,18,19,...)
2. Slot 10 actually maps to irq 16 and shares with pci0:14
(It is possible that is shares with a different slot, but I don't think so.)

My gut tells me that it is #2, as that is how the ISA irqs are mapped.

So then you have two ways of checking this:
1. If the device number isn't in the table, clone one from +/-4
on the same bus; print warning.  (The thought here is that the
slots are numbered sequentially, with a logical layout).
2. Find a device with the same ISA irq mappings, and use its APIC
irq; if multiple matches found, punt; print warning message.

Or, just don't use APIC irq mappings if not all devices are in the
table (yeah, right ;)

=====
<Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 15 on pci0:10

                INT      conforms    conforms        0    15          2   15
                INT     active-lo       level        1  14:A          2   16
                INT     active-lo       level        1  13:A          2   17
                INT     active-lo       level        1  12:A          2   18
                INT     active-lo       level        1  11:A          2   19
                SMI      conforms    conforms        0     0          2   23
===

Kevin