Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:59:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

> I'm also intersted in having a way to shrink an FFS filesystem, but it is
> much more difficult than growing and you have to rename inodes which is not
> always good.
> At this moment I'm thinking of some ways to retain the inode numbers.
> In the more common case your system is getting to small and you want to
> have another HDD added - so only be able to grow does make sense.

This is another place where (shoot me if I'm wrong), stacking layers would
be handy. One could make a stacking layer to provide inode remapping. Or,
if this is the wrong approach, one could add code to FFS to allow inode
remapping metadata. This way, one could rename the physical inode and
update the mapping. Or am I way off mark here?

Marius