Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:49:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
Cc:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 10.1 ZFS - why canmount=off for /usr and /var by default?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 12:06-0000, krad wrote:

> It is a bit confusing, I have to ask why call it zroot/usr at all? I use
> <pool>/os/ for stuff like ports etc and then set the mountpoint. If we must
> use usr in the name why not set the mountpoint to legacy as well, as its
> more clearly not used?

Sorry for jumping in, but it's done simply to inherit the mountpoint.

It has already been said, but here's a recap.

Most of what you'll find in /usr belongs to the current BE. Datasets
create below zroot/usr, e.g. zroot/usr/local, magically appears as
/usr/foo, e.g. /usr/local. The same goes for zroot/var and /var.

If you want to install FreeBSD with ZFS using some other train of
thought, then feel free to do so.

I have my own set of scripts at
http://ximalas.info/~trond/create-zfs/canmount/, and they certainly
have their flaws, and maybe I even change these scripts in the future
as I move along and change my perspective on FreeBSD and ZFS.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |