Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:46:57 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

David Scheidt wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> :Wes Peters wrote:
> :> Just because you don't see it doesn't make it a bad idea.  Network admins
> :> begged for years for a centralized IP address space management server;
> :> now that they've been given one (that works, and is FREE) people like you
> :> bitch about it and won't use it.  Feh.
> :
> :Are you saying you use DHCP for servers? If so, maybe I should shut up
> :and listen for a while because apparently there's something here I can
> :learn.  I've been using it for client IP pools for years now, but not
> :for servers.
>
> Using DHCP for servers means it's much less work to renumber a network,
> change router addresses, DNS servers, and so on.  Very useful if you've got
> a zillion machines.  Change the settings, and as leases expire, the client
> servers get the new ones.

Hmmm ... here I can see it.
I guess this is partly my lack of knowledge of large installations. The largest
facility I consult for has 4 servers. That's hardly a chore to change if you
want to change the IP pool. Change the DHCP for the clients and change 4
network configs.
Hrmmm ... I appear to be doing a good job of exposing where my experience is
lacking this week ...

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?