Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:25:29 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        username@tir.com (Jason)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dumping Usernames and Real Names

Jason wrote:
>     Is there a way I can dump all of the username and their associated "real
> name" to a text file? I have looked at finger but their is no way to do all
> users even if they are not logged into the system. Are their any commands
> that will do this for me? Thanks in advance...

Hi Jason,

A quick way is to use awk as follows:

 $  awk -F: '{print $1":"$5}' < /etc/passwd

The manpage passwd (5) details the format of /etc/passwd. The small script
above doesn't quite do what you want: it prints out the entire 'gecos'
field of the passwd file. So it the user has used 'chfn' to change their
details, the command above will also print out the office location, phone
number etc...

The pipe below strips out this information, leaving just the login name
and the full name (separated with a colon ':')

 $  awk -F: '{print $1":"$5' < /etc/passwd | sed 's/,.*//'

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)