Date:      07 Feb 2001 07:09:20 +0100
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
Subject:   Re: Request for comments [Fwd: bin/24695: [patch] pkg_info: prefix search  for a package]

Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> What do ppl think about proposed feature? I personally think that at least
> prefix part could be solved easily with appropriate autocompletion rule,
> however if there is enough interest I could go on and add this feature.

would it be possible to make pkg_install enough intelligent to find
it's .tgz file in the current directory w/o any options if just the
package name is given ? that's may help scripting.

here is an example :

# ls -l
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     95572 Jan 11 08:51 wget-1.6.tgz
# pkg_add wget
pkg_add: can't find package `wget'
# pkg_add wget-1.6
pkg_add: can't find package `wget-1.6'

pkg_add -r doesn't solve the problem, since it doesn't search the
current directory and directly download/delete the package from the
FreeBSD repository. a store option would be apreciable also to
automaticaly fetch the requested package but not delete it after
install.

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just particular