Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:28:40 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sbufs in userland, proposed solution

Well, the way I'm planning on going with putting sbufs in userland is to
create a new library, libsbuf.

libcam will be complied with a dependency on libsbuf, so libsbuf will
automatically get pulled in for applications that dynamically link with
libcam.

Since most all the ports that use libcam that I know about (xmcd, tosha,
cdrecord, cdda2wav, SANE) link dynamically, they should continue to work
without recompilation.  (The same would be true with preexisting static
binaries.)  They will also work without source patches when recompiled.

I will probably go ahead and send patches to the various authors to add
libsbuf to the link line if it exists, just in case they decide to link
statically at some point.

As for applications that link statically (e.g. camcontrol), they'll have to
add libsbuf to the link line in order to compile.

There is apparantly no way around the static link problem, so this is
something that has to be done, unless I go with one of the other two
alternatives -- putting sbufs in libc or in libcam.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org