Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 11:53:34 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Takkala <takkala@mail.highstar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot problems...

Takkala wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with this little problem that
> i am having...
>
> Ok, everytime i boot FreeBSD, as soon as it finishes the line begining with
> "wd1",
>
> wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <Conner Peripherals 170MB - CP30174E>
>
> wd1: 162MB (332304 sectors), 903 cyls, 8 heads, 46 S/T, 512 B/S
>

> it takes about 20 seconds for the kernel to continue to this next part,
>
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD420E/1.03>, removable, iordy
>
> atapi1.0: unknown phase
>

> which incidentally takes about 20 seconds to complete. Is there something
> wrong with the configuration of my kernel? Is it possible to speed it up?
> This problem occurs both with the GENERIC kernel and my custom kernel.
> BTW, my Creative Labs CD-420E CD-ROM is the master on the secondary
> controller, and my second hdrive (Conner Peripherals 170MB) is the slave on
> the primary controller.

This time is simply the time taken up by the probes for the non-existing
devices on the second EIDE channel. The cure is simply to remove from
your kernel config the drives you don't have (wd3 for example). I'm not
sure that you may remove both wd2 and wd3, but you can try. There's also
some parameter somewhere in the source files that allows you to adjust
the timeout value for IDE devices. I'm not sure where it is or what it's
called (you can look up LINT, but I don't think it's there), but a
search of the hackers archive should turn up that info.

> Another problem, when the kernel gets to initializing my scsi zip drive,
> this happens,
>
> sd0(aic0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
> and,
> sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
>
> whats wrong with that part?

I think nothing. This is simply because the drive is probably empty, and
it does not report its geometry. It's not that important anyhow. There
was once a thread about it in this list or hackers. Search the archives
for more info.

> One more thing, at the point where it mounts my msdos partion, i get the
> error,
>
> mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the
> clustersize in length
>
>  I heard on #freebsd, that this has something to do with using Partion
> Magic and/or FIPS to repartion MS-DOS drives, is taht true and how do i fix
> it?

I think only FIPS gives this problem (not sure). If you use FAT only
occasinaly, use mtools instead of mounting the partition.

> Thanks,
> -Jari
Nadav