Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 23:41:01 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

At 11:32 PM 10/9/2001, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> Congress treats copyright law the same way it treats any other law:
>> the most powerful, richest interests and the biggest campaign
>> contributors win. And you can bet that heavy hitters such as Microsoft,
>> AOL, HP, Compaq, Dell, Sun, EDS, and IBM -- to name just a few -- will
>> oppose it. They don't want anything legislated into their products.
>
>Are you kidding me? They're *writing* the "digital rights management"
>software and *building* the "digital rights management" hardware, and
>they're forming alliances to do it.

They've been grudging members of the groups that did it, but their
engineers don't like it and neither do their marketing people (who
think it might cause consumers to avoid their products.) Intel
recently backed away from serializing its Pentium chips, for example.

If there's ANY consumer pressure, they'll cave completely.

>You and I wish. IBM simply withdrew the proposal to include it in the
>latest revision of the ATA standard. Look for it to make a speedy comeback
>if SSSCA is passed.

Ah, but again, SSSCA won't pass. Legislating the design of software opens
the door for Congress to put constraints on the design of Windows.... Do
you think for one minute that Microsoft, with its lobbying megabucks,
would risk that just to satisfy a record company or two?

>What exactly will "Hollings' foolish bill" do that will scare the "big
>corporations?"

See above. Also, large corporations that USE software know how much pain
copy protection would cost them.

--Brett