Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 23:10:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jan Sladky <diameter@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how do i install this

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Jan Sladky wrote:

> Hi,
> i have mounted a cdrom with some FreeBSD packages from an OS/2 NFS server.
> (Yes, i have FreeBSD 2.0 installed).
>
> Now i can see a PORTS-2.0 directory and in this directory there some sub-
> directories sorted by program category (like graphics).
> those directories contain (yawn) again directories with the individual ports
> (as it seems) like 'seyon'.
>
> But i can see no .tgz file or something like this.
> only three directories named 'files', 'patches' and 'pkg' plus a makefile.
> the pkg directory contains COMMENT, DESCR and PLIST.
>
> I would like to install some software but i'am totally clueless about
> how to do it.
>
> How do i do install for example 'seyon' ???
> (what would be the name i would give pkg_add ?)
>
> any hints appreciated,

Jan, you don't really need to know whre the sources are to build the
stuff, but FYI they are in /usr/ports/distfiles.  All you really need to
do is go into the directory you're interested in and type 'make', then
'make install" (probably need to be root to install).  The system does
know where the sources are, and it handles verifying the sources and
unpacking them.  Don't forget to do a 'make clean' once you've installed
the software, else your disk will fill up with expanded sources.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!