Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 08:31:28 -0500
From:      Tim <cyberlord@cyberlord.net.dhis.org>
To:        "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Natd and IP interfaces

I suppose with proper masking and IP numbers you could make a FBSD router=
 act=20
like a switch. But each computer on the network would have it's own subne=
t=20
and you'd have to set up a routing table.

But since the cost of the extra NICs and the time and trouble to set up t=
he=20
tables would be more than the cost of a small hub, it doesn't make sense.

It's just not worth it unless you specifically *need* seperate subnets.

Tim

On Sunday 18 August 2002 03:54 am, Grant Cooper wrote:
> Yeh it's resolved. I was thinking (hoping) FreeBSD had some algorithm m=
agic.
> How is it not possible to turn your computer into a switch by adding mo=
re
> networking cards. Hubs and routers are so small.
>=20

--=20
FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE
 8:24AM  up 4 days, 21:05, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00