Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:42:44 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   'device atapicam' breaks the build

Following atapicam(4), I added 'device atapicam' into
sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC. This causes 'make buildkernel' to fail:

ld  -d -warn-common -r -d -o zlib.ko.debug zlib.o
:> export_syms
awk -f /usr/src/sys/conf/kmod_syms.awk zlib.ko.debug  export_syms |
xargs -J% objcopy % zlib.ko.debug
objcopy --only-keep-debug zlib.ko.debug zlib.ko.symbols
objcopy --strip-debug --add-gnu-debuglink=zlib.ko.symbols zlib.ko.debug
zlib.ko
1 error
*** [buildkernel] Error code 2
1 error
*** [buildkernel] Error code 2
1 error

Also loading it manually with 'kldload atapicam' fails:
kldload: can't load atapicam: Exec format error
with system log having an error: link_elf_obj: symbol ata_controlcmd
undefined

What is wrong with atapicam?

I need atapicam because section 23.3.3 of handbook suggests that it is a
prerequisite for being able to use DVD drive from the vbox guests.

Yuri

9.1-RC3