Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 02:39:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To: jas@flyingfox.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com, tomthai@future.net
Sender: owner-isp@FreeBSD.ORG

John T. Farmer <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com> writes:

> What about setting up the TA with the DTE speed greater than the 128k?
> I know that the usr I-courier supports upto 230kb/s DTE speeds (and my
> Computone Intelliserver supports upto 200kb/s...)
>
> The other option would be to look at using a synchronous port of some
> sort...

Sure.  Or just throw in the towel and get a Pipe50 or equivalent.  Despite
its shortcomings (like the User Interface From Hell (TM)), I'd sooner
live with a stack of Pipe50's in the office than a stack of ISDN TA's
plugged into serial ports at 115.2 Kb/s or 230.4 Kb/s.  I can find
better ways to give myself a headache :-).

Now if there were an internal ISDN card that did the PPP framing and
CRC generation/checking itself, and interrupted once per PPP frame
(analogous to what an Ethernet card does), and were robust and
reliable and well-supported and cheap, and came with a solid FreeBSD
driver, or at least with good enough support and specs to write a
solid FreeBSD driver, and ... oops, I just woke up.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.