Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:14:23 -0800
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

On 1/25/19 11:07 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> As to replacing root's shell, replacing tcsh is a large POLA violation.
>
> It will not replace in existing installation just make it the default in new installation I can t see how this is a POLA violation if it is in new setup on new major version (upgrades won t be affacted)

I'm mostly struggling to find a reason to care what is in root's /etc/passwd
line, but aside from that, for people who use mergemaster or etcupdate, it
will try to merge the new shell during an upgrade of an existing system.
Granted, if you have an actual root password set the line will be a
conflict, but it's not strictly true to say that existing installs wouldn't
be affected.

>> Maybe give users the option at install time instead.
>
> Doable, unsure it is worth it but yes we can do that if that is asked a lot

I think we should avoid the tendency to add new questions to the install if
we can avoid it.  I often see this mentioned for potential POLA-type changes
and I think there are two issues: 1) it doesn't address upgrades, and 2) we
should keep a streamlined install process as much as possible IMO.  If we
start piling up a bunch of extra questions during the install it will just
make users' eyes glaze over.

--
John Baldwin