Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:59:10 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Library problems?

He's probably talking about this:  (Extract from:
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html#TOC-202)

You need to build a dummy set of directories to install the new /etc and other
files into. I generally choose to put this dummy
directory in /var/tmp/root, and there are a number of subdirectories required
under this as well. To do this, run

      # mkdir /var/tmp/root
      # cd /usr/src/etc
      # make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/root distrib-dirs distribution

which will build the necessary directory structure and install the files. A
lot of the subdirectories that have been created under
/var/tmp/root are empty and should be deleted. The simplest way to do this is

      # cd /var/tmp/root
      # find -d . -type d | /usr/bin/perl -lne \
        'opendir(D,$_);@f=readdir(D);rmdir if $#f == 1;closedir(D);'

which does a depth first search, examines each directory, and if the number of
files in that directory is 2 (``1'' is not a typo in the
script) i.e., ``.'' and ``..'' then it removes the directory.

/var/tmp/root now contains all the files that should be placed in appropriate
locations below /. You now have to go through each
of these files, determining how they differ with your existing files.

Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > I made world last night from FreeBSD 2.2.5 to 3, following the
> > instructions in
> > http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
> >
> > make world appeared to be successful, so I then updated /etc.
> >
> > Unfortunately, lots of commands like vi didn't work (I think because of
> > library problems---other commands did work but gave a message that a
> > library minor version was 0 not 1 as expected).
>
> Are you sure that the make world succeded ??
> Its always a good idea to do a buildworld first, and if that succeds
> that do an installworld, then you wont get a messed up system...
>
> > The make in /usr/src/etc, and MAKEDEV failed and compiling the kernel
> > failed, too.
>
> What exactly did you 'make'  in etc ??
>
> > I have since had to reboot, and now I can't mount /usr (though I probably
> > could using the CD set), since mount doesn't work.
>
> Thats because you have an old kernel and new userland, bad idea....
> Get should of either a new kernel, or an old mount....

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973