Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:57:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Alex Rousskov <rousskov@ircache.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP throughput vs number of aliases

Hi there,

	We use FreeBSD 3.1 to benchmark Web caching proxies. We want to
use a [very] large number of IP addresses for simulated clients and
servers in the benchmark setup. However, we are limited by the number of
machines we can dedicate to the tests. Naturally, we are using interface
aliases to create IP addresses.

	With the number of aliases above 600+ we are monitoring a sudden
and significant drop in TCP throughput (measured using simple netperf
tests). The graph and some details of the setup are at

	http://www.ircache.net/~wessels/Junk/aliases/

We would like to use more than 600 aliases; probably 2,000-5,000 aliases
per box without the loss of performance.

Can anybody recommend a solution?

Thank you,

Alex.