Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:53:04 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Source Code Control System

On 2002-Jun-13 00:27:59 -0400, Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com> wrote:
>Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
>> I agree.  I'd like to be able to look at the changes and comments
>> in the historical BSD 4.2/4.3/4.4 source trees that you can buy
>> from Kirk, so that you can see *why* particular things happened,
>> rather than just *that* they happened.
>
>Didn't RCS used to have an sccs2rcs command?  I seem to recall that
>the original version by Walter Tichy did have that utility.

I once had a quick look at it.  It works through each SCCS revision
using sccs-get to extract the revision and then ci to add it to the
RCS repository (with some extra SCCS commands to extract and re-use
the log entries).  It won't work unless you have working copies of
both SCCS and RCS installed.  (The other downside is that you appear
to lose all the timestamps).

Writing a utility that read an SCCS repository and turned it directly
into an RCS repository (including all the original timestamps) would
be much nicer - and a lot of work.

Overall, I think SCCS should be a port.  I agree with Terry that it's
unlikely to be ever used for anything other than looking through the
CSRG repository.

Peter