Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:42:48 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete Bentley <pete@sorted.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netra X1 - Status query and stupid question

Pete Bentley wrote:
> On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 04:39 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:51:34PM +0100, Pete Bentley wrote:
> >>Just wondering what the status is with regard to drivers for
> >>the X1's onboard Davicom ethernet?  [...]
> >
> >It should be finished.  Can you test a latest kernel on an X1?
>
> Thanks for the info!  I'll give it a go and report back just as soon as
> I can get a -current  kernel onto the X1... That's probably not till the
> weekend though.
>
> Thinking about it, rather than mess with CDs and/or SLIP, the easiest
> way is probably to just do a drive swap with my Blade 100, install 5.1 on
> there and bring it up to -current then swap the drives back...

Sorry for bringing bad news, but it probably won't work yet.  First, it
seems integrated dc(4) cards in Netra X1's have their MAC address set to
00:00:00:00:00:00.  This can probably be worked around by setting the
MAC via ``ifconfig ether''.  We need to get the MAC address from
OpenFirmware properties but I haven't had time to implement this
properly yet.

Another problem that you might hit is PCI bus errors.  It happened to at
least one guy running FreeBSD/sparc64 with a dc(4) card.  I have no idea
what the problem is yet.  The symptoms are panics under high network
load.  I'm interested in knowing if you're getting this too.

I'm currently in holiday, but I'll have a look at these issues when I'm
back.

Cheers,
Maxime