Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:17:25 +1000
From:      Da Rock <9Phackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel memory usage

On 03/13/12 05:40, Super Bisquit wrote:
> CPU architecture and model have a lot to do with performance.
> You will also get different results if you used qemu in place of
> VirtualBox. Qemu allows you to choose different emulated
> architectures, CPUs, and machine bases. What's the downside? You have
> to use the command line.
> Install qemu and run a series of virtual machines.
> Embedded devices also include Power(PC), ARMv?, Coldfire, et al;
> you're only dealing with i386 and/or the 64 bit extension (AMD64).
> CISC- which does not contain any hardware modification to be a RISC
> replacement- runs fewer instructions than RISC due to the limited
> number of registers.  Take this into consideration every time a
> program runs.
> Everything else also matters on real and emulated systems:
> Is it ide, scsi, sdd, flashdevice for the hard drive?
> What type of RAM?
> Dedicated or shared disk?
I'm a little confused by the response, I was interested if someone knew
what determines the size of kernel in memory (or wired); I only
considered the embedded list because they have a greater interest in the
memory size working with so little.

It is academic as I'm trying to understand the kernel internals, as well
as understand what works with low memory so I can tune accordingly. I
understand the different CPU instruction sets (roughly), although I
would be interested as to the size of the kernel in each.

What my question was about was the wired memory size and what makes it
grow (to put it super simply :) ). I know some growth would be expected,
but this seems obese; how would I find out how much memory a process
structure takes? Or else what am I missing?

That said I'll have a crack at what you suggest as that follows a whole
new interesting tangent :) I have used qemu before, but found VBox a bit
more responsive (and, I will admit, easier...)