Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:43:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Locale stuff: call for conclusion.

> >B)  execute 1. in the other sense of the word, and get crt0.s cleaned up.
> >    This will happen January 1st 1996 even if A) and/or C) hasn't happened.
>
> As you sayd
> >    as something more sane is implemented.
>
> I am completely against of removing this hack when nothing sane
> implemented, so date doesn't play role here.

I think it is a deadline on sane implementation.  I also think a 6 month
limit is the best you can impose, and Jan 1, though a nice deadline date,
is probably too soon.

> >C)  execute 4, as soon as anybody volounteer to do it.
>
> Well, as we voting, here additional issue (D), if you care
> of what sane can be implemented instead. By Terry idea we can
> switch from XPG/4 to XPG/3, it allows as safely use setlocale()
> in 8bit clean programs (not care of multibyte runic chars which
> isn't really used by Terry words).

I didn't quite say runic characters weren't used.  I said that XPG/4's
idea of runic characters wasn't used.  It's not quite the same thing,
since neither approach will really support, for instance, shift-JIS,
without a lot of work.

> Switching to XPG/3 allowing as to fix almost every 8bit clean program
> by simple adding setlocale(LC_ALL, "") into main().

I think XPG/3 is the right short term approach.  I'm still a bit
fuzzy on XPG/3->XPG/4 transition, since I have yet to see a fully
localized piece of code to let me factor out all the differences.

Since there is no message catalog support, I'd have to say that
much of the distinctions are irrelevant, at least for now.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.