Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:39:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ck@adsu.bellsouth.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will IPFW pass GRE packets?

In article <002c01be6d13$0cdc8f60$7aad98cd@oreo.adsu.bellsouth.com>,
Christian Kuhtz <ck@adsu.bellsouth.com> wrote:
> > GRE is some windows NT thing?  If it is, someone has already figured this
> > out for you, the lists have it.
>
> GRE stands for "Generic Route Encapsulation" and is an IETF standard as
> defined by RFC1701 (http://www.adsu.bellsouth.com/pub/ietf/rfc/rfc1701 and
> RFC1702).  It is used to tunnel all sorts of things across IPv4 networks,
> including IPv4 itself.  It has jack squat to do with NT.

Not quite true.  Like a dog who must piss on every bush, Microsoft
couldn't endure the thought of following existing standards.  So they
invented an "enhanced GRE header" for their PPTP tunneling.  See
"draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-01.txt" from your favorite Internet Drafts
repository.

It gets even better.  They explicitly specify that checksums must be
disabled in the GRE encapsulation.  And the PPP packets contained
therein are stripped of all link-level headers.  Thus, as far as I can
tell, there is zero, zilch, nada error detection of any kind on the
encapsulated PPP packets (i.e., your valuable data).  Tcpdump confirms
this.

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong