Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:02:23 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@skyrunner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: migrating to new hardware

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 11:03:40AM -0500, Peter Brezny wrote:
> I'd like to migrate some of my systems to new hardware.
>
> Can I backup my current systems, and just restore them on the new hardware.
>
> Of course this is a really open ended questions.  I realize i'll have to
> modify configs for different brands of network cards etc, but say i'm moving
> from a single 32 bit pci bus system to a system with multiple 64 bit pci
> buses?
>
> In general, what kinds of things will just chime in on the new system, and
> what things are going to need kernel modifications (like multi processors
> etc).
>
> Is freebsd going to autodetect a lot of things in a new install that would
> get left out migrating?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Peter Brezny
> Skyrunner.net

Case 1) You are running a GENERIC kernel:  You will be able to boot on
just about anything you move to.  There may be new hardware on the
machine that you will have to configure or modify your kernel to use,
but for the most part, you can move from system to system with a
reasonable assurance that the system will boot and detect the majority
of the hardware in it.

Case 2) You are running a KERNEL is which you stripped out every bit
of hardware that you do not have.  In this case, it's fairly easy to
find hardware that you won't even boot on, especially if you are
changing processor families, or moving SMP installations to single cpu
installations.  Your best bet here is to reinstall the GENERIC kernel
on the machines before backing them up, then boot GENERIC on the new
machine, reconfigure a new kernel and build/install that.

As far as your specific case of moving to multiple pci bus hardware,
I don't have any direct experience with doing something like that, but
I don't know of any reason for that to not work as is.