Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 08:31:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        dg@root.com
Subject:   VM system info

Notes on VM tunables:

I have recently added some interesting VM tunables.  Since it would
be nice if people other than me (or those who requested them) could
use the features, I thought it would be nice to pass this info on:

(My machine has 112MB, and I have modified a few of these, so if
 you get different results, don't worry :-)).

vm.v_free_min: 287
	A process waiting on memory will be waken up if:
		(vm cache memory + vm free memory) > vm.v_free_min

vm.v_free_target: 1011
	The pageout daemon tries to arrange that the total amount
	of free memory reaches this value.  Note that the cache
	memory is included in the calculation of free memory.

vm.v_free_reserved: 150
	Processes will wakeup the pageout daemon and wait for
	memory if the number of free and cached pages drops
	below this value.

vm.v_inactive_target: 5131
	The pageout daemon tries to reach this many inactive
	pages when it runs.  Inactive pages are often (but
	not always) removed from the process address space, and
	are also the pages that are cleaned.  These pages can be
	quickly re-inserted into the process address space when a
	page fault happens.

vm.v_cache_min: 3259
	If the cache queue size drops very far below this value,
	then the pageout daemon is waken up.  These pages can
	be quickly re-faulted back to where they were, or they
	can be used as free pages.  The notion of "free pages"
	is mostly an anachronism on FreeBSD, but it would
	be best estimated as the number of cache pages plus
	the number of free pages.

vm.v_pageout_free_min: 34
	If the amount of free+cached memory drops below this value,
	then the pageout daemon goes into a memory conserving mode,
	thereby avoiding deadlock.

vm.pageout_algorithm: 0
	If this is "0" the pageout daemon uses our statistics based
	page management scheme, it it is "1" it uses a near LRU
	scheme.

vm.swap_enabled: 1
	Enables process swapping.

vm.swap_idle_threshold1: 2
	This is the guaranteed memory time for a process that is
	targeted for swapout because of severe low memory conditions.

vm.swap_idle_threshold2: 10
	This is the guaranteed memory time for a process that is
	targeted for swapout because of being idle.

vm.pageout_stats_max: 1011
	Maximum number of pages to scan for a stats run.
	(This should be close to v_free_target.)

vm.pageout_full_stats_interval: 16
	Interval in seconds for a full paging stats run.

vm.pageout_stats_interval: 4
	Interval in seconds for a limited paging stats run.

vm.pageout_stats_free_max: 25
	Maximum number of pages to operate on during a stats
	run.

vm.swap_idle_enabled: 1
	Enable the swap on idle capability.  This allows supporting
	of prejudiced swapping of idle processes.  It is very useful
	on timesharing systems.

vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts: 0
	Make the swap pager very conservative about swap space usage.
	(This is useful on systems that don't have enough swap space,
	 and will let the system run longer without processes being
	 killed.)  There is a significant performance hit when this
	 option is used, when the system is under memory pressure.

vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts: 0
	Almost totally disable pageouts.  Unless an explicit msync is
	done (and normally the code doesn't support msync of swapspace
	anyway), the system will not use swap space -- with all of
	the associated advantages and disadvantages.

vm.max_page_launder: 96
	Maximum number of pages to clean per pass of the pageout daemon.
	(Currently, on my system, the value chosen by the pageout daemon is
	 a little on the small side, but is a good compromise.)  If you have
	 a slow swap device, you might want to decrease this number, if you
	 have several interleved swap devices, you might want to increase
	 this number.
--
John
dyson@freebsd.org