Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:39:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@FreeBSD.org>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New rules for naming patches

> Yes, but your message tells almost nothing about why we should need the new
> naming scheme.

Sorry--there is further explanation in my second message, which is
archived at:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=392306+396522+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-ports/20000716.freebsd-ports

> The update-patches target doen't seems a very strong argument
> for it, because you can construct simple script telling which file each
> patch-?? corresponds to and use it in this target instead.

The update-patches utility supports the patch-aa-style names to a degree:
if there are existing patches that are named that way, it will update them
under the same names.

Certainly such a script should be easy to make, but not needing one would
be simpler still. :-)

> Moreover conversion
> from the old to the new naming cheme uavoidably will mean loosing *all*
> history, because it's nearly impossible to perform such massive repo-copy, and
> even if you would propose automated script that will do such repo-copy this
> will mean mega repo-bloat given the current number of ports/patches.

A way to avoid this is to permit the old names to still be used. Having
the names of the patches reflect the names of the files being patched
should help make the history more comprehensible:  the patches to a
particular source file will automatically go in the same ,v file as
patches are created and removed over the lifetime of a port.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt