Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:48:36 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When to transition to 3.0-STABLE..  NOT NOW!

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> hello,
> I am using 3.0-RELEASE and I was wanting to upgrade to 3.0-STABLE
> because 3.0-RELEASE gives error messages about calcru blah blah..
> and I could not find the option about calcru that is in FAQ
> so I should upgrade to 3.0-STABLE now! because my processes are dying
> randomly (when I saw RELEASE at 3.0 I thought it would be stable though
> now I see that even when it says STABLE it is not stable ? cool )

STABLE is stable...or, rather, as STABLE as it is on those ppls computers
that have taken the time to run and test it.  If it was perfectly stable,
there wouldn't be a reason to have a -STABLE branch to the tree...

Well, that didn't quite make the sense I tried to make...

A Release, *generally*, is based upon those who actually ran/test and
submitted bug reports on the -betas...once Released, *any* software
developer expects to get bug reports on bugs that haven't been tweaked
yet, but are expected to be tweaked by a larger audience...

If that wasn't the case, then there would be no reason to have a 2.2.6
release after 2.2 was released...or a 3.0-STABLE now...

You want rock solid...run MicroSloth...they hardly *ever* release patches,
do they?  They *must* be stable...no?

> is there a possibility that I just rebuild kernel with new sources ?
> and I do not upgrade all other binaries? would it work ?
>
> how else may I overcome this calcru stuff ?
> Evren
>
> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > If you're running 3.0-RELEASE or 2.2.x-SOMETHING and you're thinking
> > of upgrading to 3.0-STABLE at this time, I thought I would just send a
> > quick heads-up which says simply: "Don't!"
> >
> > Please wait until at least mid-February, when the release engineering
> > and general tree repair work for 3.1-RELEASE has been mostly completed
> > and all the sharpest edges have been filed off.  This work has to
> > happen anyway for 3.1 and it will make the transition process MUCH
> > easier, so please...  Wait!  Don't jump in now just because we
> > recently branched and you see a new -stable, wait until the early
> > bleeders have finished finding the sharp edges in the upgrade process
> > and we've had a chance to child-safe the whole thing a bit.
> >
> > Folks who've been tracking 3.0 all along and went to ELF everything
> > months or weeks ago are fine and should keep right on tracking
> > 3.0-stable, it's just that for the rather NEW situation where we have
> > people switching binary formats as they jump -stable tracks, we're not
> > quite prepared yet.  This is a very different upgrade than previous
> > ones and we need time to make the "upgrade" target actually work in a
> > reasonable number of cases.  What works great for 3.0-RELEASE might
> > not at all for 2.2-stable and vice-versa, so it's not as easy as it
> > looks.
> >
> > By mid-February, those running 2.2-S will be more encouraged to take
> > the plunge since they'll have both a working source upgrade target AND
> > a working SNAPshot or two to do binary upgrades with.  We haven't even
> > had the SNAPshots happening reliably since we branched and anyone who
> > jumps in right now and doesn't also have the time to necessarily
> > wrestle with a very green process simply does so at their own peril.
> >
> > You have been warned!
> >
> > - Jordan

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org