Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 04:56:27 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munkboxen.mine.nu>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth billing and measurement scripts

Urgh... just found this postponed mail!:

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 03:40:32PM +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:

> If you really need to do this for true volume numbers (rather than just the
> info you can glean from the log files) you could run a proxy in front of
> your web server(s) (i.e. a reverse proxy, or distributor,  or whatever your
> terminology dictates) and assign each virtual host a distinct private IP
> address.  In effect you allow the proxy box to act as an HTTP 1.1 to HTTP
> 1.0 gateway.  Do your traffic accounting based on the private IP's (using
> ipfw on the proxy box or whatever method you choose) and your problem is
> solved. I'm not saying I'd do it but it would give you what you are looking
> for (i.e. real IP accounting on 1.1 virtual hosts).
This sounds very ingenious ;)

> For other traffic accounting tasks, I have a simple but effective package
> available called TraffAcct.  It's SNMP based and handles your usual
> interface oriented connections, Cisco ISDN connections, and Cisco IP
> accounting based data collection.  It also includes a template driven web
> interface for user access, and a generic report writer that can generate
> text based reports in whatever format you want (for importing into your
> billing system).  It's been running at various places for several years and
> is stable enough to handle your billing etc.
And this sounds like the solution I was (read 'would be') after
personally.

> It's GPLed, it's freely available, and it's in use at quite a few Australian
> ISPs.  If you are interested you can find out more from www.Hughes.com.au.
> Remember though that YMMV and you get what you pay for ;)
Looks interesting!  Will take a closer look tomorrow, rather late right
now although from the brief scan of your blurb this sounds ideal.  Many
thanks.

Out of interest is it in the latest ports collection for fbsd?  I had a
quick grep of /usr/ports/INDEX but couldn't find reference to your
application.

Cheers,

Jez