Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 17:22:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need a quick review of some bsd.port.mk changes

Ok, here are my comments.  BTW, it's HOLIDAY season now, please don't
expect someone's happy with your changes just because you got no reply
for two days.

 *  #
 *  # MAINTAINER=	asami@FreeBSD.ORG
 *  #
 * +# OPENBSD_MAINTAINER=	imp@OpenBSD.ORG
 * +#

This is ok, but since it's a comment anyway (it can't be uncommented
for obvious reasons), we can even do something like

# for FreeBSD:
# MAINTAINER=	asami@FreeBSD.ORG
#
# for OpenBSD:
# MAINTAINER=	imp@OpenBSD.ORG

or even

FREEBSD_MAINTAINER=	asami@FreeBSD.ORG
OPENBSD_MAINTAINER=	imp@FreeBSD.ORG

(note no comment symbols are necessary).

 * -#					FreeBSD: /usr/ports
 * +#					OpenBSD/FreeBSD: /usr/ports

Well you know that THAT ordering has to be reversed before it goes
into our source tree, right? :) :) :)

 * +.if (${OPSYS} == "OpenBSD")
 * +.include <bsd.own.mk>
 * +NOMANCOMPRESS?=yes
 * +.endif

As I told the NetBSD people before, ".include <bsd.own.mk>" doesn't
belong here.  Check the bug reports database (bin/1643) for the
discussion on this.

About the NOMANCOMPRESS, this ensures that there is no way for OpenBSD
users to turn this off, which certeanly doesn't seem like a good
idea.  Of course that's not our problem, but...well, I dunno.

 * -.if (${OPSYS} == "NetBSD")
 * +.if exists(/usr/bin/md5)
 *  MD5?=			/usr/bin/md5
 * +.elif exists(/bin/md5)
 * +MD5?=			/bin/md5
 * +.elif exists(/usr/local/bin/md5)
 * +MD5?=			/usr/local/bin/md5
 *  .else
 *  MD5?=			/sbin/md5
 *  .endif

I like this idea in general but what is /usr/local/bin doing here???
(If we are going to support Solaris, you have much other things to
worry about, I'm afraid.)  This is definitely NOT going to go in, at
least in this form (/sbin after /usr/local/bin???  Puh-leeze).

 * +.if (${OPSYS} == "OpenBSD")
 * +FETCH_CMD?=		/usr/bin/ftp
 * +.else
 *  FETCH_CMD?=		/usr/bin/fetch
 * +.endif

Why don't we use "if exists()" here?  Does OpenBSD have a
/usr/bin/fetch that doesn't work like ours?

Satoshi