Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:52:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quotas on v2.1?

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Thomas Graichen wrote:

> hasn't Brian Tao said ? ...
> >
> > On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Thomas Graichen wrote:
> > >
> > > i think quota over nfs is'nt supported in FreeBSD (and in some other
> > > unices too - for instace Digital UNIX) - i'll add the rpc.rquotad from
> > > NetBSD in the next days to -current - but this will currently only be
> > > used for _displaying_ the quota over nfs
> >
> >     Displaying quotas on an NFS-mounted filesystem isn't as critical
> > (BSD/OS 2.0 can't do this either), but quotas must still work.  That
> > is, I don't want nfsd overriding or ignoring a user's quota on
> > exported filesystems.
>
> i agree with you but /sys/nfs/nfs_vfsops.c says (at least for 2.1):
>
> /*
>  * Do operations associated with quotas, not supported
>  */
> /* ARGSUSED */
> int
> nfs_quotactl(mp, cmd, uid, arg, p)
>         struct mount *mp;
>         int cmd;
>         uid_t uid;
>         caddr_t arg;
>         struct proc *p;
> {
>
>         return (EOPNOTSUPP);
> }

	2.2-CURRENT says the same thing still as well...

	But...I think the question that Brian is asking is will the NFS
server allow a quota'd file system to be written to if the quota is
exceeded.  I believe that if quotas are established for the local file
system, it would make sense that if a remote system, via the nfsd daemon,
were to try to write to that file system, some sort of error should be
returned, even if it were something so stupid as "permission denied"...

	Guess there is one way to find out...I'll go try it out and report
back to the list as soon as I find out either way...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc