Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:11:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD - A User's Point of View

Is it really true? Has time passed so quickly? My history with FreeBSD
started some years ago with 2.0-RELEASE. Ok, I had read about FreeBSD
1.x some month before that time but I didn't try until someone lent me
a second hard disk drive for some weeks shortly after 2.0 was
released. On the first disk there was Slackware Linux at that time,
and I didn't want to remove it for FreeBSD. Some weeks later, I
removed it for FreeBSD.

Although the big crisis of the FreeBSD project caused by the legal
problems with NET/2 were overcome with 2.0 I still remember some
rumors in the freebsd newsgroup. FreeBSD would soon be dead someone
told and Linux would be the future. It didn't come so. Many people
have done a lot for FreeBSD in the recent years, especially the core
team and the developers. Thank you very much!

But as we all know, concerning publicity FreeBSD is still too much
behind Linux. Germany's computer magazine iX - formerly the
`multiuser/multitasking magazine', now the `magazine for information
technology', may be because it now also deals with NT (my guess :-) )
- has articles about `Linux and Multimedia', `Linux Compute-Cluster'
and so on.  I know, there's *one* problem we must solve by ourselves:
writing articles!

But the other problem is how to convince people to do something with
FreeBSD and not with Linux. I don't know anything that can be done
with FreeBSD but that can't in principle be done with Linux. I know
there are things that can better be done by FreeBSD but outstanding
people often only know Linux.

In the moment, I work on a FreeBSD-driven printer server for
someone. One of his first questions was: "Please, can't you do that
with Linux?" I was in good position and answered: "I'll only do with
FreeBSD!" Other people I know are still worried about the future of
FreeBSD. They say: "Wouldn't it be safer to do that with Linux?" I'm
very optimistic about FreeBSD. I also know people who made
unsatisfying experiences with Linux and know wish to have started with
FreeBSD instead.

I don't want to be misunderstood. I see it would be dangerous to
attack Linux in the public. Today, there's already too much
commericial interest in Linux. RedHat has done a lot for Linux, but,
to tell the truth, I'm happy there's no equivalent in the world of
FreeBSD. It may also be better for FreeBSD not to gain the attention
by Microsoft Linux gains.

To come to an end and to come to the point, we nevertheless need to
have some answers concerning the questions outstanding people have
about FreeBSD and Linux (see before). I try, and I'd be happy about
any idea or statement I hear or read about.

My current arguments (of different quality) for FreeBSD are:

1. FreeBSD has an excellent pedigree.
2. For someome who has experiences with SunOS, Ultrix etc. FreeBSD is
more familiar.
3. Linux is a kernel plus distributor's work, FreeBSD is a complete
operating system.
4. Linux NFS performance is bad.
5. Linux process scheduling algorithm is worse than that of FreeBSD if
system load is high.
6. As far as I've observed, the virtual memory system of FreeBSD
behaves better.
7. The Linux kernel has internal limits (e.g. max number of open
files) which may cause troubles on bigger systems.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _______
// Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH GÖttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/ // /
// Am Faßberg, D-37077 GÖttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___/____/
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve -----
//                                                http://www.freebsd.org
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de