Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:17:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation, gethostid()

> As Michael Smith wrote:
>
> >  A linux application calls gethostid() in the Linux C library.  _This_
> >  funtion then makes the SIOmumbleHWADDR ioctl call to get the ether
> >  hardware address.
>
> Ick.  I thought they've got a `gethostid()' syscall for this, like
> almost any other Unix has.
>
> >  The kernel 'hostid' variable is too short for the ether address, and the
> >  ether address _is_ visible inside the kernel (if one exists).
>
> No such thing like `the' ethernet address.  By all means, make it
> configurable from outside, don't try to grab a particular value inside
> the kernel.  Otherwise, if the user re-arranges his ethernet cards
> etc., he's at a loss.

Exactly, the problem is not getting the *HWADDR for a given interface,
thats trivial, it more like deciding WHICH interface. This was easy
on propietary hw where the interface was on the mainboard, but in a
PC almost everything can change. I'd be inclined to implement both
the CGIFHWADDR & CSIFHWADDR in the emulator, then you can set it with
the prober code, but it has to be a linux bin then :(
Maybe we should give our own OS these two....

Or I could just decide to take the hwaddr of the first interface that
has one, pretty easy, but it's bound to be bogus one way or another :(.
(but I think the whole thing is bogus one way or another)

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.