Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:55:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        markus@nrgnet.com (Mark Plummer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp problems with proxy arp

+-----[ Mark Plummer ]------------------------------

| hello,
|
|     i'm using iijppp on a 2.1.0-RELEASE freebsd machine.  occasionally,
| the ppp dialup becomes unusable; it connects and authenticates fine, but
| when packets are to be passed, nothing works.  i've noticed that the
| routing table believes the slave side ip address is to be reached through
| the ethernet card (there's a specific entry for it), and the arp table
| contains an entry for it as incomplete.  neither entry goes away.  this
| seems to happen when another machine pings the ip address when the slave
| side isn't connected (i suspect any traffic would do it).  the pinging
| machine (or atleast the one i tested) got an icmp redirect when it pinged.
| what i'd like to know is: (a) would using pppd solve this problem, (b)
| would upgrading to a later rev of free bsd solve this problem, or (c) is
| there something i am doing wrong?  my ppp.conf follows.  please direct any
| questions or replies direct to me as well as the list.  thanks in advance.

I had this problem using pppd as well. Routes would hang around, and
arp-entries would hang around.

I made ip-up remove the route and the arp entry and re-add it. That works
for us because we had the auto-pap getty, which runs as root.

It's not exactly an elegant solution, but, it worked so I left it.

I haven't seen the same problems since upgrading to 2.2.2, although
now, I have a different set of problems to contend with.

------------
#!/bin/sh
#
#              A program or script which is executed when the link
#              is  available  for sending and receiving IP packets
#              (that is, IPCP has come up).  It is  executed  with
#              the   parameters  interface-name  tty-device  speed
#              local-IP-address remote-IP-address.
Interface=$1
Tty=$2
Speed=$3
Local=$4
Remote=$5
(/usr/sbin/arp -d $Remote;
/sbin/route delete $Remote;
/sbin/ifconfig $Interface $Local $Remote;
/usr/sbin/arp -s $Remote  0:0:1:18:25:86 pub proxy) 2>> /tmp/ifconfig.$Interface;

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233