Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 05:39:16 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patches for X11R6??

>> >Apparently there has been an opaquing of several structs in the
>> >latest X release, including the GC.
>>
>> I'm not sure what those would be. Would you care to elaborate?

>The GC, for one, the display (under discussion) for another.  Basically,
>everything protected by "*_ILLEGAL_ACCESS" that didn't used to be
>protected that way.

Yes, you mentioned GC specifically, and the prior discussion mentioned
Display specifically, so I presumed that when you said "several structs"
you meant several besides those already mentioned.

Since GC and Display are the only two structures that I know of that were
made opaque in R6, I'm trying to figure out what you're referring to.

>> >There is a major difference between interface abstraction and the
>> >rigorous enforcement of abstraction boundries.
>>
>> Which is not a valid rationalization for leaving a bug in the sample
>> implementation; especially if it's a bug that encourages people to write
>> inherently  non-portable programs. The R5 Xlib.h warned people not to use
>> the fields in these structures, and these fields aren't listed in the
>> documentation. The only way they could have found out about them was by
>> reading the header file, so if they've been writing non-portable programs,
>> they can't say they weren't warned.

>Well, I think it should be honor system but whatever.  8-).

We just changed the level of trust. Now if you want to cheat you're going
to have work harder to do it. :-)

>It was for a game... can I be forgiven?

Not only forgiven, I think we can even arrange special dispensation from
on high :-). X needs more games.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY