Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2002 19:41:37 -0800
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gui free vic/vat (audio/video capture multicast mbone)

At 07:18 PM 2/9/02, Charles Henrich wrote:
>Im looking for the other side.  Im the generating side of the imagery, and so
>far the only tool I know of that can take a video feed and send it is vic.
>Unfortunatly I want to run vic on a computer thats on another continent :)
>Something like vic -nogui -transmit -background

If your video has been encoded to MPEG (i.e., you have your own (hardware
or software) MPEG video encoder at the sending end), then you can use the
"testMPEGVideoStreamer" tool that comes with the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media"
libraries: <http://live.sourceforge.net/>.  This tool reads a MPEG video
elementary stream from a file (or stdin), and transmits it as a RTP stream.
With a bit of work, you could also do the same with (pre-encoded) H.263+
video, and possibly other video codecs as well.

However, this requires that you have some (separate) means of encoding your
video input.

         Ross.