Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 01:29:24 +0900 (JST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk bug???

 * Add the TK_HEADER_CONFLICT variable!!!! The port will not have
 * a problem.

That's what we are essentially doing now.  Maybe it's only 5%, but if
a few dozen ports break, that's bad enough (just think "package
building machine" or "file server").

 * I'm sure you did investigate many alternatives.  I guess I've
 * been spoiled by your normal elegant solutions to these kinds of
 * problems.  IMHO, completely disabling the ports tree is not
 * an elegant solution.

I never said this was an elegant solution.  If you ask me, it is a
workable solution to an extremely ugly problem. ;)

 * IGNORE= ": You have an old file \(${file}\) that could cause problems
 * for some ports to compile.  \(${file}\) can safely be removed."

Sorry, but I don't understand what improvement that is over what we
have now.  (The "You may have to reinstall..." part is there because
it's sometimes necessary, depending on how old your tcl/tk
installation is.)

Are you suggesting we replace the "Please remove it and try again"
with "\(${file}\) can safely be removed"?

Satoshi

P.S. For the source tree impaired: this is what we have now.

IGNORE=	": You have an old file \(${file}\) that could cause problems for some ports to compile.  Please remove it and try again.  You may have to reinstall tcl from the ports tree afterwards"