Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 03:10:53 -0400
From:      Chris Richards <crichard-freebsd@wso.williams.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster Live! 4.0 (Re: 4.1 date?)

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 10:46:13PM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:

> Sounds like serious driver trouble to me, and like the folks that aren't
> having trouble may have weird failures in the future as their memory gets
> tromped.

Here are some additional data points obtained while running the Linux
emu10k1 driver.  Because of that they may be of limited usefulness,
but who knows...

For one thing, the Linux driver would generate an NMI on module load,
and then cease to do anything anomalous (Linux doesn't panic on
unexpected NMIs).  The fact that both drivers exhibit this NMI
behavior, though, makes me think that either (1) their respective
authors made the same programming error -- how does one generate NMIs
from software, anyhow? -- or (2) there is something wrong with the
SBLive hardware.

There was also an interaction between the emu10k1 code and the the
Linux APM driver.  With both enabled, I would see an NMI generated
precisely every 5 minutes.  With just APM everything was fine, and
with just the emu10k1 the situation was as described above.  The only
other person I knew to be observing this behavior was another fellow
with a Dell Dimension XPS T and ECC memory.

-chris