Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:06:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Dan Yergeau <yergeau@gloworm.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: X11 protocol compressor.

On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, Dan Yergeau wrote:

> Amancio Hasty writes:
> >
> >The program that you are thinking of is "term". Hunt around any linux
> >archive.
>
> I think that term only has generic compression.  This is probably
> not optimal for X packets where a lot of the overhead is in the
> relatively big (nearly) duplicated headers.

Dan, it matters how you set term up.  I run Mosaic at home, on my X
server.  The mosaic binary knows about term directly (I invoke it with
the -term option) so the X stuff is local, only the network stuff goes
out over the async line.  I get very spiffy performance out of this,
often better than the on-campus folks (they have to share the X resources
with other users, I don't).

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!