Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:03:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chuck Grimes <cgrimes@tsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printing Problem

Hey, all.

I have a printing problem with the lpr spool (running FreeBSD
2.2.5). The rc.conf has lpd "YES" and flags "" nill. I can print out 6
to 12 pages and the output stops. The printer is QMS 815MR, a
postscript printer (b&w with 6Mb RAM).

The printcap entry:

qms|lp|QMS|QMS-PS 815 Postscript v52.4:\
        :br#9600:lp=/dev/cuaa0:ct#0:mx#0:\
        :fs#0x82000e1:xs#0x820:sf:sh:rw:sb:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:

I have played around with printcap and it seems to either work or not,
but when a particular configuration is working, I never get beyond the
6 to 12 page limit. The br#,ct#,fs#,xs# and sf,sb entries were
additions that seemed to have no effect--so I left them in (gleaned
from various sources).

I have gone over the FreeBSD books (2.2.2 & 2.2.5), the on-line
tutorials, handbook, and searched the e-mail archives. I have tried
the -s option or symbolic link to file to skip the intermediate
spooling--still the same problem. Checking the disk space for spooling:

#df -k /var/spool/lpd
#Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd1s1e      29727     4760    22589    17%    /var

The permissions from #cd /var ll:

drwxrw-xr-x  8 bin   bin     512 Aug 23 11:19 spool
drwxrw-xr-x  3 bin   daemon  512 Nov 22 14:34 lpd

then #cd lpd ll:

drwxrwxrwx  2 bin   daemon  512 Nov 22 20:45 .
drwxrwxrwx  3 bin   daemon  512 Nov 22 14:34 ..
-rw-r----x  1 root  daemon    4 Nov 22 20:44 .seq
-rw-r--r--  1 root  daemon   20 Nov 22 20:44 lock
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  daemon   25 Nov 22 20:44 status

Status reports 'lp ready and waiting', lock says, '647' which I assume
was the job number for 'cfA007tsoft.com' the other entry. I assume
that was the last output file that died. These permissions are the
same as those on the live file system of the second cd.

I downloaded the latest (2.2.5 stable) of lprps but no change. I also
tried the Enscript pkg which produces better looking output and can be
configured either from the cli or the .enscriptrc, but the same
problem. In X-windows printing from emacs gives nice headers, but
slightly fewer pages of output. Although some people from the mail
archives reported a 'file too large' error, I've never had this error
mesg. Usually the lpd-log reports some fairly random output
error--usually an intelligible string such as 'moveto' which is a
postscript command. Because of this, at first I thought it was the
lprps filter, which it still might be, but I doubt it--this was the
initial reason for downloading and installing Enscript.

Using ghostscript will generate about three pages before the output
stops. So, I can print out a large document but only by print three
pages at a time.

I should mention that when I use the print driver in StarOffice 4.0, I
can print out anything from plain text to html, ps or whatever. So, the
communications ports, and underlying hardware are working. But
something is wrong with the lpr, spooler, permissions or something
that SO4.0 doesn't use. (Also on the Win95 drive, the printer works.)

I am stumped. Any suggestions, patches or alternatives would be welcomed
relief, since this has been a long and empty struggle. Thanks in
advance.

Chuck Grimes

cgrimes@tsoft.com