Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 00:29:25 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
Cc:        dxoch <dxoch@escape.gr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Question

Fred Clift wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Roelof Osinga wrote:
>
> >> dxoch wrote:
>
> >From what I understand, the boot-loader doesn't grok vinum partitions.  If
> you wanted to get really complicated, you could boot from an MD image for
> your root file-system and re-arrange things so that all the stuff that
> needs to be dynamic lives on a vinum partition and just use the MD image
> for booting.
>
> Then you're fairly insulated from disk-failure -- root is in memory and
> /usr + your other data is mirrored.
>
> It is a hassle though.

Something like that. Hassle it may be, but when that brown goo
indeed hits the fan...

Any, MO = Magneto-Optical thus MD would be Memory Disk? OTOH and
referring to that shitty image, could also be a proctologist I
guess ;). Haven't looked into that, was more thinking along the
lines of a stack of floppies. If that bypasses the booting
problem, works for me. Or I'm hoping it will anyway.

One of these days I really must look into that. I had to boot a
system just so some time ago, so I know it can be done. So if it
is indeed just the loader that prevents the root from being under
vinum's control...

What could be a problem in this idyllic scenario is KLM. From
what I've gather vinum prefers to be a KLM. Shouldn't really be
a problem, but... Another one of those things I've successfully
postponed <g>.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.