Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 13:53:53 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: system crash when using 'make'

At 03:41 PM 9/1/98 -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
>I have problems on a new AMD-K6 233 (ASUS TX-97) when I make
>buildworld.  But never any other time.  In an attempt to isolate the
>problem, I turned off the CPUs internal and external caches.  That
>allowed the buildworld to complete, though it took nearly 48hrs,
>instead of less than 24.  But after make installworld, I turned the
>caches back on and I am not having any problems.  It will be awhile
>before I can scrounge up the cash to buy new memory, to finish the job.

This sounds like that cache bug that existed in the earlier K6 CPUs. The
bug showed up when doing processor intensive stuff, like compiling under
Linux, playing Wing Commander: Prophecy (the game would lock up during
missions). Turning off the CPU's internal cache fixes the problem. (i can't
find more information on it right now. i couldn't find it on AMD's web site)

If it doesn't turn out to be the memory, maybe you should try a newer K6 chip.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org