Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:25:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      natedac@kscable.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/25958: XFreee86 4.0.x panics kernel -- UPDATE

>Number:         25958
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Xfree86's savage and vesa drivers can panic the kernel!
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

System: FreeBSD piccolo 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #1: Fri Mar 16 16:32:20 CST 2001 natedac@piccolo.daconcepts.dyndns.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/PICCOLO i386

IBM Aptiva - 550 MHz Athlon, 96M ram, Number Nine SR9 video (Savage4
chipset, 8M) on the AGP port (never thought to mention this), ESS Solo1
sound.

Using the X 4.0.2 "savage" and "vesa" video drivers causes a kernel panic.
Using the "vga" driver, however ugly the display is, does not panic the
kernel.

The last time I tried 4.0.2 before this latest attempt, I also tried the
"i128" driver, which the website says is a Number Nine driver.  It didn't
work either, causing a kernel panic/reboot.  Elsewhere in the website it
clarifies that this driver is intended for Imagine-128 chipsets.

More information will follow as I learn more about X 4.0.2, including
further bug reports, if they seem necessary.

>How-To-Repeat:

You'll probably need an IBM Aptiva and/or a Number Nine SR9 video card
(which is out of production anyway).  Compile X 4.0.2 from ports, create a
config file with xf86cfg, and substitute either the "savage" or "vesa"
driver in place of the "vga" driver in the file.

Try to start X either as root, or with Xwrapper, and it should panic the
kernel (at least, it causes the system to reboot, you never actually get
to see the kernel messages as the console does not switch back to where
the messages are appearing).

You may also be able to crash the machine simply by running xf86cfg
without the -textmode switch.  In my setup, this will crash the machine.

If you force text mode with the above mentioned switch, xf86cfg does
create a config file which does work, albeit only in 320x240/8-bit and
640x480/4-bit modes.

>Fix:

No idea.  Using the "vga" driver provides a temporary solution, however by
the nature of the vga driver, no accelleration or high-quality displays
are available in this mode.