Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:28:00 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD licensed Broadcom VideoCore driver

Am 25.10.2012 09:48, schrieb Oleksandr Tymoshenko:
> On 2012-10-24, at 10:10 PM, Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 24, 2012, at 4:23 AM, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> The rpi foundation just posted this up.
>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2221
>>
>> There are two very basic pieces missing from the FreeBSD/RPI kernel right now:
>>
>> 1) MMC driver.  Oleksandr had one in his github tree but it has not been merged to -CURRENT.  I think that's the only obstacle to building bootable SD images today.
> I'm working on getting it into -CURRENT. Hope to finish by the end of the week.

I've applied the patch and it allows the PI to boot -CURRENT and mostly
work: I also see "random" processes seg-fault when trying to build some
ports. My PI NFS-mounts /usr/ports (R/O) and /usr/ports/distfiles(R/W),
but trying to get some port build this way takes many attempts (because
of commands seg-faulting). I managed to build bison, for example, but I
do not remember how long it took ...

One problem I observed with the patch applied: Building an amd64 kernel
from these sources failed because of a reference to sdhci_if.h missing
in the amd64 kernel build directory. I did not try to fix the config
data but just put a symlink pointing to the generated file into the
build directory. An empty file would probably also have worked, but I
just wanted to get my new amd64 kernel built and did not have much
time to spare.

>> 2) Framebuffer.  Documentation: http://elinux.org/RPi_Framebuffer
>> It looks like it might be a couple days work for someone to tie this into sysconf and get a working text console through the HDMI connector.
>>

> Actually framebuffer should be working. You just need to uncomment several line in config file and add USB keyboard support.

The framebuffer works when these lines are uncommented. But I did not
manage to get a USB keyboard working. Instead I use SSH to connect. A
few changes to files under /etc where necessary (e.g. to allow direct
root login in SSH, root password hash copied from another account with
known password ...). Having the framebuffer show boot messages helps a
lot in that situation, since it takes some time to get SSH host keys
generated and you can better tell when to connect with SSH.

There is some discussion in the PI forum about other missing pieces
and it seems, that USB support is considered very weak because of
unpublished controller details. The USB connected Ethernet chip seems
to work reasonably well with -CURRENT, but I have seen SSH sessions
abort for no (observable) reason.

Regards, STefan