Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 12:50:08 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, swallace@eng.uci.edu
Subject:   Re: bare bones kernel

>Could someone explain to me why you must have "options FFS" and
>"device npx0" in the kernel config file? Otherwise you get a linker
>error:

>kern_sysctl.o: Undefined symbol `_hw_float' referenced from text segment
>vfs_init.o: Undefined symbol `_vfs_set' referenced from text segment

npx0 isn't optional.  npxprobe() is currently required, at least when
there is an emulator, to initialize CR0_MP so that fwait works right.
It should be set in machdep.c when CR0_TS is set.  There should be an
equivalent of npxinit() to initialize the emulator.  hw_float is misplaced
and should be 3-valued (hw_float, sw_float, no_float).

vfs is even less optional than npx0 :-].

Bruce