Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 02:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      SicoSico <resuscitated_wael@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lenovo Y570 backlight

Hi,
I have Lenovo Y570 which uses 2 graphics cards, nvidia and intel. There is
currently no way to choose nvidia from BIOS. I can choose to have both or
intel only.
I am using FreeBSD HEAD and I have a problem with the screen backlight, it
is always at maximum.
I am using intel driver x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel

/etc/make.conf
WITH_NEW_XORG
WITH_KMS

I tried the following with no result:

x11/xbrightness and x11/xcalib, they increase the black color, the screen
max brightness is still on. Software illusion, not hardware.

#kldload acpi_ibm
#kldload acpi_video

#sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=1
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 0 -> 0
#sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness=30
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness: 70 -> 30

#xbacklight -set 50
No outputs have backlight property

xorg.conf
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

Xorg.0.log
(WW) intel(0): Option "RegistryDwords" is not used"

Also xev doesn't detect fn+up/down which should change the lcd brightness.