Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:02:20 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Subject:   Re: Clang as default compiler

On 2012-09-17 21:43, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 01:04:20AM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
>> For most of the failures, we are already aware of them, as a result of
>> our periodic runs.  So, just filing a PR to say "broken on clang" doesn't
>> really help us all that much.
>
> Those are build failures. What about crashes? E.g. I've recently had
> crashes with x11-wm/i3 and x11/rxvt-unicode. Both problems disappeared after
> recompiling them with gcc46.

We can't figure them all out without *your* help. :-)  Please attempt to
run the program in a debugger, gather core dumps, etc.  Or at least, try
to make it into a reproducible case, so somebody else can attempt to
diagnose it.  And please specify the exact version of clang you used.

Now, most of the time this is because programs contain bugs, or
undefined behavior, which happens to go unnoticed with gcc, for example
because it optimized by accident in such a way to mask the bug.  In a
few other cases, real clang bugs are found, and most of the time, those
can be fixed quickly.

That said, in these cases specifically, how do the applications crash?
Right at startup, or after specific inputs or user actions?