Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 02:38:18 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matt White <mwhite@myrile.madriver.k12.oh.us>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ServerWorks ServerSet III HE Chipset

Matt White wrote:
> FreeBSD SMP List;
>
> I'm looking to build a new FreeBSD 4.1 server to replace our 3.5 server
> that's getting beat to death every day. (And I must say, it responds to
> the beating quite well!)
>
> Right now I'm looking at possible boards and chipsets to use for a new
> server, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experence, good or bad, with
> the ServerWorks chipsets. I've searched the mailing list archives and
> can't seem to find an answer. (But I did notice that this question comes
> up every now and then!)
>
> In particular I'm looking at the SuperMicro 370DL3 or 370DE6 boards. One
> has the HE chipset, the other has the LE chipset.
>
> Any comments, good or bad?

I cannot comment on the supermicro, but I have a Tyan Thunder 2500 which is
based on the RCC HE chipset.  It is a very sweet board, and goes like the
proverbial bat out of hell.  I believe Paul Saab had one of them with
2x733MHz cpus beating a 4x550MHz Xeon system at buildworld time from
MFS ramdisks.  The Quad Xeons had 1MB cache and its motherboard was also RCC
based but a slightly older chipset.

The Xeon had 256 bit wide memory compared to the 128 bit wide RCC HE
chipset with PIII coppermine cpus.  I think the Tyan board had two banks
and could interleave for greater burst bandwidth.

Anyway, for bang-per-buck, it was very impressive alongside a quad Xeon
monster.

Cheers,
-Peter